One record at a time: 220. Howard Jones - Dialogue

When I noticed this album was being released as a limited edition that was individually numbered, I contemplated buying it. However, I decided I would continue to economise and just listen to the album digitally. 

Not long after Christmas I received a little red card from Royal Fail to say I had missed a delivery and I should go and pick it up. When I finally got the package I was very surprised to find this record inside. It seemed that I had pre-ordered this at quite an early stage (I received number 0015) but I then completely forgot about it. I am pleased to own this record, so let's give it a spin.

"Celebrate it together" is another one of those upbeat songs that Howard seems excel in writing nowadays. There are great lyrical nods to the past with the, "things will only get better" refrain that is backed by dance beats. I like "Formed by the stars" as it is a dreamy and reflective piece, but it a features a bit too much vocal processing to be truly great. "My One True Love" is well produced but is a little bit nondescript as a composition. "Be The Hero" uses pretty much the same sounds as previous tracks but has a funky, almost Kraftwerk like syncopation that rescues it.

On the flip side things stray into Giorgio Moroder territory with the driving arpeggios of "What You Really Want To Be" before the mesmerising sounds of "You Are The Peacemaker". By the time "To Feel Love" and last track "I Believe In You" come around I am beginning to tire a little of the same sounds being constantly recycled. There are only eight tracks on this record and that feels about right as I sense the ideas were running a little short by the end. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment