One record at a time: 221. Kissing the Pink - Naked

To be honest, I hadn't heard of Kissing The Pink until about six years ago when I saw a repeat of Top of the Pops from 1983 where they played "The Last Film". There was something mesmerising about the band's performance and the music really fascinated me. I bough the remastered CD of the album "Naked" but didn't own the vinyl until I stumbled across this copy in a shop a couple of years ago.

"The Last Film" opens the album and features military drumming, electronic percussion and a catchy melody. When you listen closely you can hear multiple layers of vocals and percussion weaving in and out to make an intricate and satisfying experience. "Frightened in France" starts with some great early eighties synth loops and the vocoder work that runs throughout is just brilliant. Things change for "Watching Their Eyes" which has a more stereotypical new wave sound and Jo replaces Jon on vocal duties. Despite its darker tone, this song is really catchy.

"Love Lasts Forever" is reminiscent of David Byrne or Talking Heads and there are enough electronic elements running through it to retrain my interest (even if it is a bit too long). "All For You" sounds remarkably well realised for 1983 and hangs in the air like gossamer. At the end of the first side, "The Last Film" is reprised as the "Hymn Version" which is essentially just a different mix.

The opening to "Big Man Restless" has some distinctly Kraftwerk vibes that morph into a groove that sounds at least ten years ahead of its time. As Jon delivers his deadpan vocal the track builds into a mesmerising and beautiful piece where Jo's saxophone shines like a diamond (and I am not keen on saxophone). I simply love this.

Equally brilliant is the soaring "Desert Song" where Jo takes over on vocals once more. This track is a real highlight and I'm almost ashamed it took me so long to hear this wonderful piece of music. 

"Broken Body" reminds me of Gary Numan - who was faltering commercially but still à la mode in 1983 - but Kissing The Pink aren't quite able to match the great man on this occasion. Unfortunately "Maybe This Day" sounds like a second rate show tune and "In Awe of Industry" is a little lacking in direction. The album ends with "Mr. Blunt" which has an undeniable rhythm that ensures things finish on a high. 

This album is described by various sources on the internet as "synth-pop", but in reality I think it is something much bigger than that. Within this music there are threads of multiple genres and the technical chops of the band shine through. Having just listened to the record I suddenly feel I haven't played it nearly enough. To my shame I have underappreciated magnificent songs like "Big Man Restless", "Desert Song" and "All For You" up to now. I now intend to put that right. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment