One record at a time: 219. Howard Jones - Transform

From 1985's "Dream Into Action" we skip forward 34 years to "Transform" (it seems I have some holes to fill in my HoJo collection). I bought this record when it was released and was pleased to see that three tracks were collaborations with electronic/dance artist Brian Transeau.

"The One To Love You" is a great opening track that successfully combines elements of contemporary dance music with a healthy dose of eighties nostalgia. This is undoubtedly one of the album's highlights.

After such a triumphant start it's inevitable that the second track "Take Us Higher" sounds a little less impressive. Whilst his is a highly competent production by HoJo's long time collaborator Robbie Bronnimann, it lacks some of the fairy dust that BT sprinkles on his tracks. 

On the vinyl "Hero In Your Eyes" comes next and is one of those songs that reminds me of something else, but I can never put my finger on it. The lush sound of the title track instantly singles it out as having been produced by BT and it feels a cut above some of the songs that surround it. Side one ends with the highly electronic "Beating Mr. Neg" which sees Howard fleetingly dead panning in a weird mock cockney accent before exploding into an uplifting chorus. 

"Tin Man Song" ticks along nicely before the reflective "At The Speed of Love" slows the pace to provide some contrast to the electronic beats. Things kick up again with "Eagle Will Fly Again" and the closing track "Stay With Me" sounds like it caught all involved in a party mood. I'm thankful that so many artists I first heard in my youth continue to release music like this; I'd love to hear a whole album of BT and HoJo. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment