One record at a time: 54. Chromeo - White Women

Recently I found myself reading an interview with Dave and Pee where they mention the influence of Helmut Newton and his book "White Women". As I read this things fell into place: the images used on the artwork for "Business Casual", their unique keyboard stands and the title for this album all suddenly made sense.

This record is the European version which was released on 180g double vinyl in 2014. This is another album I don't own on CD and this continues to cause me slight anxiety. It is worth noting that the running order on the vinyl is different from the CD and digital version. I presume this change was dictated by the amount of space on each disc and the desire to cut the album with as much dynamic range and volume as possible. The sound reproduction is good (without being outstanding) and there is little or no surface noise. 

Every successive Chromeo album raises the bar in terms of songwriting and production, and this one is no different. The production by the band and Oligee is excellent and as an admirer of Dave Bascombe, it was a pleasant surprise to see he mixed the majority of tracks. There are several pop orientated songs here and according to last.fm "Jealous (I Aint With It) remains their second most popular song amongst listeners. Another single "Old 45's" is the other significant highlight that would draw in the more casual listener. Personally, I like the final track "Fall Back 2 U" and their second collaboration with Solange Knowles "Lost On The Way Home". I can happily let this album play through from start to finish without feeling the need to skip a track. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment