One record at a time: 53. Chromeo - Business Casual

I was shopping one evening (more accurately I was following my wife around as she shopped for clothes) when this album began to play in a shop. I was aware the record had been released, but I had decided that there wasn't enough in Chromeo's previous efforts to warrant purchasing it. How wrong I was.

By track three (we were in the shop a long time) I had resolved to find the nearest record outlet and buy a copy immediately. 

Fortunately I didn't get to buy the CD that night as I may have just ended up with a vanilla copy of the UK CD. Instead I later acquired an imported copy of the deluxe edition from the USA. I have no idea where I bought the CD from, but I do remember enjoying it. In 2014 I ordered a copy of the vinyl from amazon. 

To my mind this album is where we finally meet the real Chromeo. The production is highly polished and there is an amazing confidence in the performance. Whereas previous albums featured a selection of semi-instrumental grooves, "Business Casual" contains nothing but highly competent songs with impressive vocals. Tracks such as "Night By Night", "Don't Turn The Lights On" and "I'm Not Contagious" combine toe tapping beats, clever hooks and a unique sense of humour. 

"When The Night Falls" sees Solange Knowles sing a couple of lines and some ad libs to great effect. As a composition this song is highly underrated and it deserves a wider audience. The next two tracks feature orchestral arrangements with "J’ai Claqué La Porte" being the most successful. So there isn't a bad track on the album but you might need a few plays to fully appreciate some of these ear worms. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment