One record at a time: 55. Chromeo - Head Over Heels

This is my third attempt at writing this post as I have been struggling to address the criticism of this album and its apparent attitude towards relationships and women. Having got myself lost in the arguments on either side, I have decided to simply offer my conclusion.

I consider Chromeo to be an 'act' in which Dave and Pee are playing parts (even their adopted Dave One and Pee Thugg monikers point to this). At the centre of this performance is a reflection on the absurdity of geeky guys entering into relationships with beautiful, confident and glamorous women. Their tales of failed relationships and sexual politics are part of the joke rather than being a reflection of their attitudes. I think Chromeo are delivering a self deprecating satire wrapped in an earnest desire to produce great music. Everything is delivered 'tongue in cheek' to make you dance with a smile on your face.

Originally I had a paragraph here discussing the cover image and the arguments around it. Again, I have decided to remove the text and just offer my conclusion that, however successful (or not) you judge it to be in redressing the balance, it was well intended.

On the musical side, pockets of existing fans seemed to regard this album as being overly commercial or too pop for their taste. When an artist sets out to produce a "bona fide all-stars album" with "top 40 producers" they are clearly setting their sights on increasing their commercial appeal. As a consequence, some long term fans who were initially attracted to a different attitude and sound are bound to be disappointed. Personally, I like the polished nature of this album and I enjoy its more pop orientated approach. However, I do agree with some fans who felt that there were too many collaborators and guest vocalists diluting the aesthetic. As good as this album is, there's always a little bit of sand in the Vasoline. 

Chromeo Live: highly recommended
Another issue I have with this album is the use of profanity. Whilst previous albums may have contained a cheeky one liner or an occasional mild swear word, this record is strewn with some quite strong expletives. Whilst I am not a prude (and have even been known to utter the occasional four-letter-word myself), I feel Chromeo are more sophisticated than this. To my mind, Chromeo's music is characterised by funky beats, retro synth styling and great melodies. They should leave the swearing to Snoop.

Having said that, "Head Over Heels" was on constant rotation in my house during the summer of 2018 and it remained so for most of the proceeding winter. My personal favourites are "One Track Mind", "Bad Decision" and "Room Service". The lead single "Juice" is an excellent example of the band's funk/pop/electronic hybrid sound and even the interlude "Right Back Home To You" is better than most bands could produce.

I own the limited edition yellow vinyl which was released in the band's home country of Canada. I imported my copy direct from Last Gang Records which saw the thieves at Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and Royal Mail almost double the cost of the record with tax and arbitrary charges.  

I also went to see the band on tour in October 2018 and they were brilliant. Chromeo don't visit England very often and when they do it is largely for festival appearances. Fortunately, I saw them at one of the two headline shows on the tour. The performance and the musicianship were outstanding; I would recommend them very highly as a live act (the support act were a bit weird though). 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment