One record at a time: 38. B12 - Electro Soma

In 1993 a friend played me "Obsessed", "Metropolis" and "Telefone 529" by B12. I hadn't really heard music like it before. Yes, this was techno, but it wasn't the kind of techno I was used to. This was lush and full of melody; I had to hear more. 

I bought the album "Electro Soma" fearing that the remaining tracks wouldn't be as good as those I had already heard. Yet from the mesmerising opening to the closing of the CD I was captivated. At the time I had no idea it was a compilation of material the band had previously released; it sounded like a coherent and consistent album to me.

For this play through we have the remastered, double blue vinyl version from 2017. The track listing here replicates the original vinyl which was different from the CD I bought. There are two tracks fewer and "Debris" is omitted in favour of "Drift" which closes the album.  

The opening "Soundtrack of Space" is one of the most haunting pieces of electronic music I have ever heard. I used to listen to this on the way to college as the perfect antidote to the stress of what I was about to endure. This track perfectly illustrates that B12 aren't just a "techno act" but a band capable of producing amazing electronic music. "Hall of Mirrors" and "Mondrin" further illustrate the sonic diversity on offer with innovative textures and great beats.

The high point of the album is probably "Metropolis" which is a thundering epic of the techno genre that would fill the right dance floor even today. Despite recycling a few Kraftwerk song titles, borrowing on Detroit techno sensibilities and sampling Jean Michel Jarre, you never get the feeling B12 are copying anyone. This music is unique and innovative and it stands up to repeated listening. 

B12 themselves are something of an enigma. Bizarrely their website is still live, but it hasn't been updated since 2007. Steven Rutter seems to be continuing with the band and new releases do appear sporadically. Mike Golding however seems to have quit music, moved to Germany and set up as a web developer. Anyway, I love this album and it never fails to transport my mind back to the time when I was young. It still sits firmly in my "Top 20 Favourite Albums" list. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment