One record at a time: 37. Ian Brown - The Greatest

As I mentioned in my previous post for "Golden Greats", I am not sure why I bought the CD of this compilation back in 2005; but I am glad I did. This album is a perfect introduction to Ian's solo work and I have gone on to buy more of his records since. 

When it came to buying the vinyl version of the same album ten years later, I was much more certain in what I was doing as, not only did I know I liked the music, but it was only £11. Considering this is a double album, I think that is a bargain.

Things seem to progress in chronological order so debut single "My Star" starts us off in a blaze of glory. The bass on this record is quite impressive and promises great things are to come when we reach some of the more electronic selections. "Corpses" as it was called when the single was released is next, but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. "Can't See Me" sees Ian and Mani team up to produce a crazy big beat extravaganza that is remixed and generally tidied up from the album version. This album is cut pretty loud so before we know it, it is time to turn over the first disc. 

The first UNKLE collaboration "Be There" is the sort of downtempo track that was fashionable in the late nineties - but unlike some contemporaries, this one still stands up today. As we move into the "Golden Greats" era we are treated to the single versions of "Love Like A Fountain" and "Dolphins Were Monkeys" which are excellent. The masterpiece that is "Golden Gaze" soon follows to remind us that Ian is capable of some moments of absolute genius.

The second disc kicks off with the exceptional "F.E.A.R." which is clever both lyrically and musically. Whilst "Whispers" and "Forever and a Day" aren't my favourite tracks here they are far from being bad: they're just not to my taste. Similarly "Keep What Ya Got" is just too much like a generic guitar orientated rock song for me. Things pick up with "Time Is My Everything" and its Herb Alpert-esque brass arrangement makes for an entertaining listen. "Longsight M13" raises the bar back to the level of the first disc in quite spectacular fashion. As well as having a great tune, this song features some amazing synth work that restores the faith I lost with some of the rock songs. I can't help but feel like the strings at the beginning of "Reign" have featured on TV advertisements or some sort of promo, but thankfully familiarity doesn't seem to have led to contempt. The brass makes a comeback for the mediocre "Lovebug", but "All Ablaze" is considerably more electronic in approach. The album closes with the slightly awkward "Return of the Fishermen" and its bizarre lyrics. The song is OK, but what puzzles me is that this "Album Version" doesn't appear on any of Ian's albums as far as I can tell. Despite being a bit soggy in the middle, this is a nice collection of tracks that sound surprisingly electronic. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment