One record at a time: 39. B12 - Time Tourist

Having enjoyed B12's first album "Electro Soma" you would have thought that I'd make certain I bought the follow up. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, the release of "Time Tourist" completely passed me by. Time moves much more slowly when you are young, so it's possible that I gave up waiting after 3 years and moved on to something else. 

In fact, I only became aware of the album's existence when I began using the internet in earnest sometime around 2000. I found it hard to buy the CD new at the time as it had been out of print for a few years. All I could find on eBay was a copy of the American pressing with, what I presume to be, a deletion cut through the top of the case. This CD was the only version I owned until Warp re-released it as a double "gold" vinyl LP in 2018. This version featured goodies like a booklet, a sticker sheet and a download with additional mixes. It's a nice package. 

At this juncture I will point out that this LP is not in a gatefold sleeve, and that is a good thing. Personally I don't like them and can't for the life of me understand why so many releases are marketed with a gatefold sleeve as a selling point. I find it difficult to place the records back in them and protective sleeves are much more expensive than a normal one. This record is the perfect package as it has a functional sleeve with a booklet to satisfy any yearning you may have for additional information or images. Record marketing people take note.

Like its predecessor, this album is essentially a compilation of music recorded under various pseudonyms. There is a nice mix of harder dance tracks alongside more experimental electronic music. Personal highlights are "Void", "Cymetry" and "The Silicone Garden". The standout track "Epilion" is a TR-909 infused monster pounding its beat and bassline into your head. The four additional mixes included on the download are interesting alternative versions but are ultimately inferior to those on the master release. If you're in the mood for some 'serious' electronic music with a techno pulse then this album satisfies. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment