Cheapo HiFi Part 3: CD player overload

The third week of the "Cheapo HiFi Challenge" sees me hoarding CD players. I was always going to need another CD player as my computer is not kept in the same room in which I am setting up my new separates system. So, during the week I placed a few bids on devices that took my fancy and let eBay do the rest. Next thing I know I am the proud owner of a Technics SL-PG390 and a Sony CDP-491.
Technics have arrived
Now the Technics machine remains in the 'cheapo' bracket having cost me just £15. It has an optical output so is ideal to live in the upstairs set up with my computer. It works well enough and isn't in bad shape cosmetically.

At this point I must confess a predilection for retro Technics gear. I spent a large part of my school days in 1985 (and '86 and '87) leafing through Technics catalogues thinking: 'if only'. Whilst this particular machine is from much later than 1985, it still has that magical Technics badge that the 12 year me can't resist. Of course I am now toying with the idea of building a Technics system to compliment my SL-1200 MKII and new CD player. We shall see how that plan develops.

Anyway, back to the old Sony stack. I had decided to break the bank on a CD player with a remote control. Messing about with the remote-less CDP-XE370 was becoming a bit of a chore and when the CDP-491 (complete with instructions and remote control) came along, my head was turned. The 491 is a much older machine (circa 1990) than the CDP-XE370 (circa 2001) but it is higher spec (it must be, it has more buttons for heaven's sake). It seems a remote and instructions raises the price on eBay quite considerably and I ended up paying almost £40 for this one.

The new CD with remote
However, the majority of the extra functionality contained within the CDP-491 does not have much to offer in the modern era. This is because there are a large number of functions dedicated to recording CD to tape. Like the Technics machine, the new Sony has a 'Peak Search' function to scan the CD for the highest peaks on the disc to allow the user to set the levels on their cassette recorder. This machine can also fade tracks in and out and build a programme to fit a specified time. I would have killed for these options back in 1990 (particularly the fade options) but in 2018 they are pretty much redundant. For now that is...mix tape anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment