Cheapo Hi-Fi Part 2

So, part 2 of my cheapo HI-Fi challenge sees me actually generating sound. Having overhauled my old Jamo speakers I decided the first step to my new separates system had to be the amplifier. My approach was to leave a series of relatively low bids against amps on eBay and see if any were successful. As the days went by the 'outbid' notifications multiplied and my chances of landing an amp in the first week began to look remote.

Happily however, nobody seemed to interested in a bashed up Sony amp beyond £25 (can't think why). Two days after the auction ended I received the unit and fired it up for the first time. I took my £10 Sony CD player, hooked them all up and to my surprise, everything worked.

Now the TA-F161 isn't going to win any awards and was decidedly budget even when it was new (circa 1995). The sound is indistinct and no matter how you coax the eq it sounds a bit woolly. But it was £25. On the plus side it has a phono stage (as yet untested) and actually produces sound (something of a novelty on eBay where half the listings seem to be 'for spares only'). Or rather it did work.

Something about the base of the amplifier didn't quite look right in the stack (note the front left foot isn't visible on the picture). This isn't because of the angle of the photograph, it's because the foot is pushed up into the body of the amp. At some stage this unit has received a massive bash to the base that rendered it useless. It seems it has then been 'recycled' (i.e. repaired badly) by a company and sold on. I say badly repaired because there has been no attempt to pull out the dents to the base of the amplifier.

As I manipulated the foot in an attempt to pull out the dent, the unit powered down and could not be resurrected. Now one good aspect to the previous botched repair was that half of the screws holding the amp together were missing. Thus opening it up was achieved quite quickly. Once inside it became obvious that the previous 'trauma' to this unit resulted in the PSU being damaged. As I was pulling the dents out of the case I was moving the PSU and disconnecting it from the circuit board. With the connection re-established we had power and sound once again. This amp will just have to stay bashed and a bit wobbly on it's feet.

So for £35 we have a CD player, amplifier and speakers. However, with only £65 budget remaining and turntables currently fetching top prices, the bigger challenges look set to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment