One record at a time: 289. No-Man - Love You To Bits

By the time 2019 rolled around I'd rather given up on No-Man. It had been eleven years since their last album and both Tim and Steven seemed to be happy pursuing solo projects. 

To be honest I didn't really lament the lack of output from the band as their last efforts had left me feeling a little bored. Whilst the art-rock of "Schoolyard Ghosts" and the ambience of "Together We Are Stranger" might have their place, I longed for something with a pulse. I had no idea what to expect from this new album, but the sound that greeted my ears as I dropped the needle on this blue vinyl for the first time took my breath away.

Not only was there immediately the sound of a pounding bass drum, but it was augmented with analogue percussion that sounded just like "Ice Machine" by Depeche Mode. A driving synth bass rumbles under Tim's distinctive vocals as he sings of loving someone, "like I don't love you at all". "Love Me To Bits (Bit 1)" and its coda "Bit 2" left me dumbfounded and just a little bit emotional at how totally triumphant this record sounded. 

"Bit 3" kicks into life with some excellent drumming and Steven's precise guitar work before "Bit 4" heralds the return of the synths and a new leitmotif. Side one finishes with a reprise of the rumbling Moroder-esque synth bass from "Bit 1" but with a sprinkling of new lyrics.

The flip side opens with the subdued introduction of "Love You To Pieces (Piece 1)" in which Tim sings of a sticky love that left him weak. As the TR-808 style hit hats kick in, I can't help but anticipate the electronic tricks that Steven Wilson is about to pull out of the bag. Yes, we are hearing the same melody that was used on the first side, but the clever arrangement and Tim's constant development of the lyrics mean things never become boring.

"Piece 2" opens with an aggressive bassline and delivers one of the most amazing electric piano solos you'll ever hear. "Piece 3" continues to develop the relentless groove until things disintegrate into the the welcome ambience of "Part 4" and "Part 5". For me this return to a more melodic and synth driven sound is manna from heaven. Also not to be missed is the magical "Love You To Shreds 1-3" on the single of "Bit 1". Amazing. I want more. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment