One record at a time: 281. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile: Deviations 1

You may remember that I regard "The Fragile" as something of a middling effort with only a few high points. So why would I chose to buy a four disc, horrendously expensive vinyl edition of the same album that features only instrumental version of those same mediocre songs? To be honest, I have no idea.

I think I purchased this set as it lured me in with promises of exclusive material and stating it was a "one time pressing; when its gone, its gone". Well I'm calling bullshit on this statement as this record was released seven years ago and it is still available from the band's UK web store today. Occasionally it will show as "out of stock", but it reappears a week or two later suggesting they are repressing this ad infinitum.

I'm certain I didn't pay the current £75 price tag seven years ago. Most of the songs on these discs are OK, but turning them into instrumentals doesn't really do much to enhance them. Some songs definitely sound clearer without the distorted vocals, but that simply doesn't justify the cost. Sometimes it's no wonder people steal or illegally share digital files. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment