One record at a time: 280. Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

We have to jump forward a few albums in the Nine Inch Nails discography to "Hesitation Marks" of 2013 as I don't yet own "The Slip" or "Year Zero" on vinyl. Here I am playing the standard double vinyl that was released here in the UK (by Polydor of all people).

This album was one of the first I encountered where the singles were only released digitally. "Came Back Haunted" was released first and gave me hope that the new album was going to be suitably electronic. I've read this song was created using some of the same synths as used on "Pretty Hate Machine", and whilst it may not sound exactly like something from the band's debut, it certainly harks back to a more melodic and rhythmical template.

The second single "Copy Of A" features various rhythmical elements and burbling synths that are augmented by Trent's repeated vocal phrases. Supposedly the great Pino Palladino is playing bass on this track, but I can't hear any bass guitar - maybe my tinnitus is affecting more than just high frequencies.

One of the things I like about this album is that I am not having to endure acoustic drums. "Find My Way" has some great stuttering rhythms and the slowed down funk of  "All Time Low" twists its way around a perfectly monotonous programmed beat.

"Everything" is the first song to feature guitar prominently and has vocal harmonies in the verses that sound distinctly pop. Thankfully the electronic funk of "Satellite" comes to the rescue and provides the perfect introduction for the second disc. Other favourites are "Running" and the impressive "I Would For You" which prove Reznor remains an engaging and original songwriter.

My attention begins to wain as the album approaches its conclusions and with fourteen tracks there is almost too much here. I guess I am too accustomed to ten track albums designed to fit on a single LP. Yet on this album, Trent did almost everything I wished for: he peeled back the distortion, turned down the guitars, got rid of meaningless instrumentals and largely dumped the acoustic drums. It's not "Pretty Hate Machine Part 2" but it's not a million miles away. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment