One reord at a time: 212. Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe Infinity

In 2018 Jarre decided that revisiting "Oxygene" wasn't enough and it was about time he set about creating a sequel to his other seventies masterpiece "Equinoxe". Rather than rework the themes and ideas of the original, Jarre set out to create a new work which had little musical connection to the original album. 

Whilst "The Watchers (Movement 1)" features a small echo of the Eminent strings from "Equinoxe Part I" it is nothing more than a cursory reference. Tracks like "Flying Totems (Movement 2)" are in the old tradition of uplifting and anthemic pieces, but there is no doubt this is a new approach. This track is also the closest Jarre has ever come to sounding like his contemporary Vangelis. 

"All That You Leave Behind (Movement 4)" is a darker, brooding piece that has some very seventies touches harking back to the earliest material Jarre recorded on "Deserted Palace" and "Les Granges Brûlées". "Infinity" is another strong and jaunty theme that sounds almost like the classic Jarre of forty years ago. Another favourite of mine is the atmospheric "Don't Look Back" which sounds like it was recorded by a string quartet that has been wired up to the mains. Weird but good.

When I first heard this album I have to admit I dismissed it as being rather disappointing and haven't listened to it much. When I posted my initial thoughts on this blog, I went as far as describing some tracks as "cheesy" and "less than convincing". As I sit listening to these tracks today, I can see I was too hasty in my evaluation. 

I think I rushed to a conclusion due to the sheer volume of music I have access to. I am only limited by the amount of time I can spend listening to music and it feels like everyone is vying for my attention. Back in 1985 when I bought the original "Equinoxe", I only owned a few LPs and tapes. These four or five albums were my world and I listened to them over and over until I almost lived within them. In 2023,  I don't seem to be able to devote time to albums that might need repeated listens to make an impression. Going back to this record today has certainly made me appreciate it more and I now intend to listen to it far more often. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment