One record at a time: 213. Jean Michel Jarre - Welcome to the Other Side

I'll be honest, this record is unopened and unloved. When I first watched the virtual reality 'concert-event' this music is taken from I had no idea what was gong on. 

This 'event' occurred on New Years Eve 2020 in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic and seemed to involve Jarre performing with IMU sensors attached so that a virtual reality performer could be animated. For some unknown reason Notre-Dame cathedral was chosen as the backdrop for both the real images and the VR representation. 

The music was even more puzzling as Jarre seemed to want to recreate a rave by playing a series of EDM influenced tracks and remixes. The fake applause and audience noise was ridiculous and it didn't take Einstein to work out nothing was being played live.

As a Jarre fan of 35 years I was pretty disappointed by the whole thing. I guess the concept for this event must have passed me by as I just thought it looked and sounded second rate. This record is basically a Armin van Buuren DJ set dressed up with some Jarre tunes. I'm off to listen to "Equinoxe". 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment