One record at a time: 93. Electric Light Orchestra - Face The Music

I am not sure why I have two copies of "Face The Music" but judging by the surface noise on these records I was probably trying to find one in decent condition. Both records are repressings from the late seventies and neither sound especially good. This lack of audio fidelity is a shame as the music on the album is rather good.

I came to this album quite late as I never really saw the CD on the shelves in the nineties and when I eventually did, the dark underwhelming cover didn't appeal. In fact, this is probably the most disappointing and incongruous sleeve in the ELO back catalogue.

"Fire On High" is a fantastic instrumental that opens with spooky special effects before giving way to a grandiose orchestral section and some fantastic acoustic guitar riffs. The sonic fidelity on this recording is another step on from "Eldorado" and Jeff clearly continues to advance his production skills. Second track "Waterfall" is a great song that, like quite a few songs on this album, is driven by a strong piano refrain. The amazing "Evil Woman" is one of the tracks on my original "Greatest Hits" CD that sold me on ELO and I can't help but sing along. It's a seventies answer to "Shout out to my ex" (well sort of). Some great analogue synth work features on the verse of "Nightrider" before the driving chorus arrives. Even Kelly gets to sing some lead vocals here.

Side two opens with "Poker" which initially sounds like a homage to Marc Bolan before the mad synthesizers start and a strangely punk vocal kicks in. This song is a real oddity and I am not sure if it is genius or just appropriating emerging styles. Another hit single comes next, "Strange Magic". There's always been something about the dreamy introduction of this song that captivates me. As Jeff begins to sing you could almost be floating away. "Down Home Town" is a disappointment that sounds like Bob Dylan singing country and western. Maybe Jeff was trying ingratiate himself to the American audience which seemed to appreciate his efforts more than those of his native land. The album closes with "One Summer Dream" which is a mesmerising song that warrants every second of its six minute length. A much neglected and underappreciated gem. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment