One record at a time: 92. Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

I have two copies of ELO's fourth album, a standard black vinyl of uncertain vintage and the yellow coloured vinyl from 1978. 

I acquired the coloured version through some good fortune. One day, as I was trawling through eBay, I stumbled across a listing that made no mention of the vinyl being coloured, but the third or four picture was clearly of a yellow record. I can only assume everyone ignored this listing assuming it was a black record and my initial bid (that I fully expected to be bettered) succeeded. It almost makes up for all the times I have been ripped off on eBay.

Anyway, Eldorado is where things really begin to take off for me. For the first time ELO use a choir section and a thirty piece orchestra to create a 'symphony'. Following the orchestral overture we are treated to one of the jewels in the ELO back catalogue, "Can't Get It Out Of My Head". This song is a mid tempo ballad that is perfectly crafted with excellent melodies and a stunning arrangement. I was always confused by the lyrics, "I don't know and dance a lot, they don't envy me" until the internet came along and told me the lyrics were, "Ivanhoe and Lancelot, they don't envy me".

"Boy Blue" sounds like Herb Alpert mixed with Slade and, whilst it isn't a bad song it doesn't quite catch fire for me. Next track "Laredo Tornado" employs the Clavinet which has to be the funkiest instrument known to man. The chorus of the song is a soaring falsetto backed by a stirring orchestra. It's not the catchiest song, but it is an impressive production that is very entertaining. "Poor Boy" sounds like prototype Travelling Wilburys and has some great touches that point to Jeff's increasing prowess as a producer. I can't really listen to "Mister Kingdom" as it sounds like a straight rehash of "Across the Universe" . The Beatles were good at being The Beatles; nobody else needs to do it. 

"Nobody's Child" is the tale of a young man's struggle to resist the advances of a 'painted lady'. This blues influenced backing track is augmented by some fantastic orchestral flourishes courtesy of arranger Louis Clark and I have a real soft spot for this song. "Illusions in G Major" is strongly reminiscent of rockabilly and is fun as it doesn't outstay its welcome. The title track is last with its thundering Roy Orbison style vocal and strong orchestral arrangement. A good album that strikes you as having achieved the ambitions Jeff set out when creating the band. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment