What, rot? What rot!

Not a new "One record at at time" post but a another random bank holiday ramble full of rot.

When CDs were becoming 'mainstream' in the late eighties I felt very smug with my Sony CDP-M35 player and I took every opportunity to remind my teenage friends that I was part of the digital music revolution (I'd saved up very hard for my CD player you understand).

During this period, one ill informed cynic informed me that I wouldn't be so smug in twenty years time when all of my CDs had become subject to "oxidisation" and I was left with a pile of dust. How I laughed at her folly! How I scorned the fact that every time she played her cassettes or records she took a little bit of life out of them. CDs were indestructible and she was wrong. Well sort of.

I posted ten years ago (gulp) about the issue of bronzing or 'CD rot' and I wondered how much damage would be done to my collection. Well, as it turns out there has never been too much damage and last week I discovered what is only the second casualty in a collection of over 2500. Well, in truth I have two copies of this CD and they have both bronzed, so that makes three. But still, it remains at a tolerable level.

All three of my bronzed discs were pressed at PDO in the UK, so there was obviously something wrong at this plant in 1991. I have recently thrown out a blu-ray of a-ha "Ending on a high note" as it was subject to the manufacturing issues that affected a French production plant. This disc became unreadable as the resin used to bind the layers of the disc oxidised. I wonder if the same thing is happening here. I'm going to keep an eye on PDO manufactured discs from now on that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment