One record at a time: 87. Electribe 101 - Electribal Memories

My brother went to a record fair in 1990. I know this because he took the unusual step of purchasing a record for me. I can't remember if it was a gift or if I paid him for it; but the ball-point indentations on the sleeve tells me it cost £1.99. 

The record in question was the limited edition 12" of "Talking With Myself" by Electribe 101. I'm not 100% certain why he chose this record, but I think it might have been as a result of a tenuous link to the Pet Shop Boys because the sleeve was designed by Mark Farrow/3a and Tom Watkins was their manager. Alternatively, it could be because I expressed admiration for the single "Tell Me When The Fever Ended" when I heard on the re-booted Jukebox Jury circa 1989/90. It could be all of the above - I don't really recall.

However, I do recall receiving the CD of parent album "Electribal Memories" for Christmas in 1990 (the same year I was given the cassette of "Blissed Out" by The Beloved). CDs seemed very expensive thirty years ago and each purchase (or requested gift) represented a sizeable commitment. The disappointment of purchasing a rubbish disc could be rectified by taking it back and exchanging it for something else, but sometimes this wasn't practical. Being bought a duff CD as a Christmas gift is one such scenario. So, despite being underwhelmed by "Electribal Memories", I felt compelled to persist with it as this was easier (and seemed less ungrateful) than asking my mum for the receipt to take it back.

I did grow to like this album eventually, but this was a result of familiarity as much as it was admiration. Thirty years later I found myself reminiscing about the good old days and my rose tinted spectacles forced in an impulse purchase of the album on vinyl. This copy is a bit scuffed and has some surface noise here and there, but nothing I can't forgive. 

Things open up with the afore mentioned single "Talking With Myself". Until recently, I had no idea this song was 'inspired' by a classic old school house track by Julian Jonah. I say 'inspired' but it would be more accurate to use the phrase 'a complete rip off'. I have to admit, I lost a bit of respect for Electribe 101 when I finally heard "Jealousy and Lies". How you can appropriate a track without giving a writing credit seems ludicrous nowadays.

Second track "Lipstick on my lover" is a rather sparse arrangement and Billie's melody doesn't quite do enough to carry the song for me. When I first heard the album it was this track that rang the alarm bell that this record might not be entirely to my taste. I've always liked the single, "You're Walking (Peeping Tom Mix)" which doesn't really have a hook but does have that laid back Balearic groove of the early nineties.

The first track on the flip side is "Diamond Dove" which has some nice touches and proves that the eighties weren't entirely forgotten with its orchestra hits and fluid bassline. "Heading for the Night" was considered for single release in 1990 and, to this end, Frankie Knuckles provided several remixes. However, Phonogram elected to release the excellent "Inside Out" instead and the remixes didn't formally surface until 2021. Whilst the Knuckles mixes are good, the original featured here is superior in my opinion. Another single "Tell Me When The Fever Ended" is a more melodic deep house type of track that may (or may not) have drawn me to the band in the first place. The vinyl version of the album closes with a largely instrumental remix of "Talking With Myself" titled "Talking 2". I've never been sure why this was included on the album as it isn't particularly impressive and it occupies space that could have been used for another original song "Electribal Memories" which is included in the CD.

So, despite my initial disappointment as a teenager, the years have brought a fondness for this album and I enjoy it very much. Not long after the album was released Electribe 101 seemed to disappear and the potential shown by this album was never realised in a follow up. Or so I thought.... 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment