One record at a time: 59. Chvrches - Screen Violence

Like its predecessor, I can't tell you what this album is called without looking it up. I feel that my interest in Chvrches reduces with each successive album and this may well be the last record of theirs I purchase.

This is a transparent blue 180g vinyl released in 2021. I pre-ordered this from the band's official store and it came with a signed postcard. Whilst I have listened to the digital files of this album, this record remains sealed and unheard.

The opening track "Asking For A Friend" is the first time I've heard Lauren's accent so prominently. I am not a fan of the affected Mid-Atlantic drawl some singers feel they need to adopt so it is great to hear someone singing in their own accent. The first few times I listened to this song it didn't make much impression but I appreciate it more with every listen. I am also relieved the band are producing themselves and they have returned to their own distinctive sound. The sheen of previous album "Love Is Dead" didn't suit their songs and the grittier production on offer here is much more fitting.

I'm fairly sure I've heard the next song "He Said She Said" on the radio, which is amazing as I don't listen to the radio and none of the music I like is played on mainstream stations any more. The lyrics on this track are quite affecting and serve as a reminder of how considered and well composed some of these songs are.

Guitars make a prominent appearance on "California" and whist the song has a good tune, I can't warm to it. Unfortunately the use of guitars continues on "Final Girl" which sounds like a traditional 'band in the room' recording. Only the breakbeat craziness of "Violent Delights" provides a distraction from this new and worrying direction. Whilst "How Not To Drown" features a vocal contribution by Robert Smith, he is a little under utilised and it sounds like his inclusion was a bit of an afterthought.

Having trawled through some guitar orientated songs, normal service resumes with "Good Girls" which almost sounds like Vince Clarke had a hand in it. "Lullabies" evolves from an unpromising start into a good track with elements that made me think of "Thieves Like Us". The final two tracks aren't to my taste and "Better If You Don't" must be referring to their increasing use of guitars. Still, even with guitars, this record is better than their last one. Maybe I will buy the next one after all. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment