One record at a time: 58. Chvrches - Love Is Dead

I'll admit I haven't listened to this record much. My principal excuse is that there was a lot new music around when this album came out and my attention was focussed elsewhere. I did intend on returning to it, but as I am faced with a constant stream of new music and a finite amount of free time, it is inevitable that some records won't get listened to. I may have skimmed through the digital files and added the best songs to a playlist, but I haven't sat down with the vinyl and actually devoted time to listening. Until now.

I bought this translucent blue edition in May 2018 and it came with a signed postcard. The quality of the sound reproduction is okay but does have some annoying surface noise here and there.

The difference in approach between this record and the bands first two albums is quite marked. I'm guessing this change is attributable to Adele's producer Greg Kurtsin coming on board and making things a bit more pop and chart focused. This approach isn't quite in step with the material and I prefer the traditional Chvrches self produced sound. I know Dave Stewart (the 'A' one from Eurythmics and not the keyboard player) was somehow involved in the sessions that led to this album, but I have no idea if anything he contributed remains on the record. He certainly doesn't get into the credits so I'm guessing the collaboration didn't work out and everything was ditched.

As you may expect, the first two tracks, "Graffiti" and "Get Out" are some of the best on the album, but they still fall short of the quality displayed on previous albums. "Forever" and "Never Say Die" are competent electronic pop songs but I refuse to listen to "My Enemy" as it makes my ears bleed. "Graves" has hints of New Order with its high bass guitar and pulsing synths but doesn't quite fulfil its potential. "God's Plan" is the statutory song with Martin's awful vocal and things meander along along until the final track "Wonderland" revives the Hooky style bass guitar. I now realise the other reason I haven't listened to this album: I don't like it much. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment