One record at a time: 51. Chromeo - She's In Control

I discovered Chromeo as they were a recommendation on last.fm based on my listening habits. I seem to have first dipped my toes in the water with "Needy Girl" and "Me and My Man" from their first album "She's In Control". 

As per my usual pattern before 2015, I bought the CD and acquired this vinyl more recently. The sound quality on this European double vinyl is best described as 'variable', but it is generally adequate.

Whilst this album has great songs with solid production, they sound rather sparse and a little naive when compared to the highly polished funk the band produce today. The beats are a little too 'retro' and some tracks fail to evolve further than the initial idea. There are a lot of instrumentals or songs that feature heavily processed vocals too. The real Dave One hadn't yet emerged from the chrysalis on "You're So Gangsta" or "Woman Friend". A personal favourite is "Rage!" which is a clear precursor to the catchy funk they would go on to perfect on albums like "White Women" and "Head Over Heels". Whilst I like this album, it serves more as a historical document to chart the rise of the band, rather than being amongst the Funklordz best. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment