One record at a time: 50. The Chemical Brothers - No Geography

We've finally come to the tenth and last LP by The Chemical Brothers in my collection, "No Geography". Personally, I'm not a fan of the artwork for this album and I can't understand why they have reused a photo from the booklet of a Godley and Creme album. It's not as if this image has particular artistic merit or conveys something no other photo could. Anyway, the packaging is OK and even the vinyl sounds good to say it is pressed by GZ Media.

As I dropped the needle and "The Eve of Destruction" began to play my 5 year old daughter ventured out of her room to ask, "What is that robot saying Daddy?" We skimmed over the rapping in Japanese. As confusing as this track may be, the bass guitar is brilliant and Mark Ralph deserves special mention. Whilst "Bango" and the title track tick along quite nicely, they are a mere prelude to the amazing sound of "Got To Keep On". I could listen to this song all day and it is definitely in my top 3 tracks the band has ever created. The visuals that accompany this song live are very effective and I was mesmerised by them when I saw the band live in 2019. 

Elsewhere "Gravity Drops" sounds like a bad copy of B12 and "Free Yourself" fulfils the quota for a song with annoying sample. "MAH" is an acid workout featuring a great sample from an old El Coco record and comes highly recommended. This album conforms to the usual Chemical Brothers formula of closing with something downbeat by including "Catch Me Falling". I generally find these tracks rather disappointing but this time it sounds like a perfect denouement. Like its predecessor, this album has relatively few collaborations with vocalists and it sounds all the better for it. I look forward to their next offering. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment