One record at a time: 45. The Chemical Brothers - Push The Button

This entry takes us to about halfway through my collection of vinyl by The Chemical Brothers. Like "Come With Us" I bought this album on CD when it was released and I somehow managed to acquire the double vinyl edition in 2019 for only £6. This pressing sounds pretty good with no surface noise or distortion. Even if it did have flaws, at £6, I wouldn't argue.

I don't listen to this album much. This is surprising given that the ratings in my digital media player for these tracks show a high number of four and five out of five scores. The singles "Galvanise" and "Believe" are obvious stand outs but "The Big Jump", "Marvo Ging" and "Surface To Air" actually outscore them. There isn't a bad track on this album really. The only slight flat spot is "Close Your Eyes", but even this is better than some of the collaborations on other albums.

This record stands apart from some of its predecessors as, not only is it consistent, but it is somehow joyful and uplifting. For once all the vocal collaborations seemed to work and any stylistic boundaries are negotiated with ease. Whilst there is a strong hip-hop influence present, all the elements of big beat and house regular listeners will be accustomed to are on display. I really must listen to this album more often. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment