One record at a time: 44. The Chemical Brothers - Come With Us

As with many of the records I have reviewed, I bought this album on CD at the time of release and only acquired the vinyl more recently. 

I bought this particular record in 2018 from the Universal Records website for the bargain price of £6. A brand new, double vinyl album, delivered to my door for a little under £10 still seems like an impossibly low price. But then the balance was partially redressed a year later when I bought the 20th anniversary CD edition of "Surrender" for £40 only to see it sold off for £15 a short time later. It's swings and roundabouts.

In 2002, lead single "Star Guitar" seemed to signal a move towards a deeper house sound and I assumed the forthcoming album would reflect this. However, I think there is actually a much stronger disco feel on this album and "Star Guitar" is a bit of an anomaly.

The title track starts proceeding in grand style and sounds fabulous coming from vinyl. "It Began In Africa" becomes slightly annoying as it over uses the titular sample, but it is worth a listen for the percussion madness created by Shovell. "Galaxy Bounce" and "My Elastic Eye" are more typical Chemical Brothers tracks which exude a pleasing familiarity.

"Hoops" utilises TR-808 hip hop grooves, acoustic guitar samples and some horrible vocals. Even if I put aside my aversion to acoustic guitar, this track still does little to justify its six minute run time. Essentially it just goes round and round in circles. "The State We're In" is another disappointment that doesn't work until it segues into the camp disco beats of "Denmark". There are more disco stylings on "Pioneer Skies" but the influence is distinctly Gallic this time. Final track "The Test" is just too rock for me and leaves me cold. I guess it was released as a single because Richard Ashcroft sells a lot of records (or at least did at the time), but there is nothing musically to justify that choice. Aside from a few unpleasant vocal tracks, there is much of merit on this album. However, make no mistake, "Star Guitar" remains the main attraction. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment