One record at a time: 28. Blancmange - Mange Tout

If I ever earnestly employ the phrase "sophomore effort" on this blog you have permission to write a sternly worded letter of complaint. This phrase isn't commonly used in England (my spell check won't even accept it) and I find it annoying when my fellow countrymen use the phrase. "Mange Tout" is simply Blancmange's second album which was released in 1984. Alongside the "Blanc Tapes" double vinyl, I also own the original pressing reviewed here.

As I work my way though my record collection I am struck by how good original 'vintage' vinyl can sound. I have come to the conclusion that where an affordable second hand copy of an album exists, it is preferable to buy these than cough up for a reissue.

So this original vintage pressing of "Mange Tout" gets going with the single "Don't Tell Me". I never understood why their debut album "Happy Families" started with a less commercial track, but a lesson seemed to have been learnt and this record goes straight for the jugular with what is possibly my favourite Blancmange song. "Game Above My Head" is another excellent track with characteristic eighties slap bass and excellent synth work. This record maintains momentum with the top ten hit "Blind Vision" which is a quirky synthpop romp that doesn't seem to stick to a traditional verse/chorus structure. There is a change of pace with ballad "Time Became The Tide" which I find hard to take seriously with Neil's vocals. The first side finishes with yet another single "That's Love, That It Is" which sounds like it was written in response to the record label's request for a hit single. Whilst this track follows the formula for an eighties disco hit, it doesn't quite hit the mark. 

Side B opens with "Murder" which unfortunately isn't a cover version of the New Order song of the same name, but is a noisy mess that doesn't seem to employ any chord changes. Next track "See The Train" must have taken a long time to record with its multiple vocal over dubs and harmonies, but that is the most positive thing I can say about it. The introduction of "All Things Are Nice" wouldn't have sounded out of place on a Front 242 album, but this and the next track, "My Baby" come and go without leaving much impression otherwise. The album ends with the Abba cover "The Day Before You Came". It took me a long time to appreciate this song and whilst I much prefer the single version, the version here makes a pretty good alternative (even if the tabla percussion sounds totally incongruous). Whilst this album is a bit hit and miss, it has at least opened my eyes to the fact that a twenty five year old record can sound better than a modern day pressing which costs ten times as much. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment