One record at a time: 27. Blancmange - Happy Families

The last time I posted thoughts about a Blancmange album was for "Blanc Burn" in 2011. On that occasion my comments didn't go down too well with some readers and I began to wonder if I'd made a misjudgement. Ten years on I realise my language may have been a little acerbic, but my assertion that it wasn't a good album was sound. In fact, I don't have a great deal of interest in the unrelenting tsunami of new Blancmange material that has been released over the last ten years. I tried it and didn't like it.

For me, Blancmange were at their best in the first three albums. The version of their debut "Happy Families" I own is taken from the vinyl version of the 2019 compilation "The Blanc Tapes". To be honest I'm not sure if this is considered a box set or a compilation, but I'll stick with the description in Discogs and call it a compilation. The first thing to say about this pressing is that some copies contain a number of known manufacturing defects. It's a bit of a lottery as to which faults your set will contain. My copy suffers from a crease across the top of the slipcase that holds the records, but doesn't seem to have the more worrying issues with "vinyl contamination" or poor sound quality experienced by others.

When it comes to the music, "I Can't Explain" is an odd choice for an opening track as it is a slow burning drone rather than the catchy single you might expect to kick things off. "Feel Me" is a personal favourite that has some great backing vocals alongside the rather funky backing track. "I've Seen The Word" is a skilfully produced track that could sound morose in less capable hands. The next track "Wasted" sounds like a prototype Erasure record; which just goes to prove Neil and Stephen had the synth pop formula a full three years before Vince and Andy honed it. Nowhere is Blancmange's commercial potential more strongly demonstrated than in the next track "Living On The Ceiling" which has smart production, catchy riffs and clever lyrics. 

I've never been too keen on the ballad "Waves" but it is executed competently. As the flip side of the record progresses things become a little formulaic until we encounter the guitar led instrumental "Sad Day", which sounds like Joy Division on uppers. The final track "God's Kitchen" is an example of a song with humours lyrics that don't make your toes curl; something they couldn't repeat on "Blanc Burn". 2/5

The second disc in this version of the album kicks off with "Sad Day (Original Version)" which is so slow I was convinced it was playing at the wrong speed. We have to wade through several demo recordings of questionable quality until we reach the extended versions of "Living on the Ceiling", "God's Kitchen" and "Feel Me" which aren't as rewarding as I remember.

Like most bands from the eighties that continue to release music today, Blancmange rely on a core group of fans to buy it. This compilation is clearly catering to those fans by delivering demos and previously unheard material which document the early life of the band. For me, the original album remains the highilght of this compilation and the second disc is largely redundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment