One record at a time: 24. Björk - Homogenic

Another Björk record is next, but this is the first in my collection we have come across that I own in triplicate (there will be more I assure you). 

I have the coloured vinyl from 2015 along with the black vinyl from the same year which I will play here. I also own the 180g version from 2000 which strangely, I have no recollection of purchasing (I can see it wasn't from Discogs or eBay which is also weird). If you look closely at the sleeve you can see that the later re-releases on the right of the image crop the top of Björk's hair, where the older version retains the artwork of the original 1997 version. 

I'll be clear from the start that "Homogenic" is one of my favourite albums of all time. The first time I put the CD of this on in my Renault Clio back in 1997 I knew it was destined to be a favourite. The album kicks off with "Hunter" which is as original as it is awe inspiring. The new (at the time) production of Björk and Mark Bell were the perfect alchemy weaving the dance sensibilities of LFO and the twisting lush melodies of Björk. The first two tracks are a perfect example of this counterpoint where the string arrangements are perfectly juxtaposed with unique driving rhythms and a sub bass growl. I find the third track "Unravel" absolutely mesmerising to the extent that even the saxophone sounds don't annoy me. The single "Bachelorette" sees the epic string arrangements return to great effect in a track the proves how good Björk is in the role of producer. "All Neon Like" comes next with its infectious beat and intriguing lyrics. 

On side two the distorted beat of "5 Years" isn't totally to my taste but as the track builds this becomes less of an issue. I remember the first time I heard the next track "Immature" I kept asking myself, "What is this? How can an album track be this good?" I had this song on regular rotation for quite a long time and have never been able to find fault with it. The original sparse vocal/piano version of the song that features on the third CD single of "Jóga" illustrates that good songs can shine regardless of the production. "Alarm Call" has a great bassline and Björk drops an F-bomb. I find "Pluto" a bit annoying as its trying too hard to be different and seems to just end up being a bit repetitive. The album finishes with the suitably sombre "All Is Full Of Love" which I used to think was good until another version was released as a single the following year. The "single" version (which is actually the original version) is produced by Björk and is superior in every conceivable way. I can't help but wish the album finished with this version but then nothing is perfect. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment