One record at a time: 23. Björk - Post

The next record in my collection is another coloured vinyl by Björk. I haven't played this LP much as when I first bought it I thought it sounded awful. As I play it today, things are OK for the first track but the sibilance on "Hyperballad" is horrible and "The Modern Things" is spoiled by distracting pops and clicks. Things don't improve much for the rest of the record but as this is the only version of the LP I have, I will have to stick with it.

The poor sound quality is a real shame as "Post" is a great album and I enjoyed it so much in 1996 that I went to see her on the supporting tour. Even though a significant proportion of the album is produced by Nellee Hooper, it sounds miles better than its predecessor, "Debut". I think this must be down to collaborators such as Graham Massey and Tricky who seemed to injected enough grit and imagination to stop another "The Anchor Song" happening.

My favourite track is "Isobel" with its lush arrangement and haunting tune, but there isn't a bad song on here really. Even some of the more 'avant-garde' tracks such as "You've Been Flirting Again" and "Headphones" are entertaining. The only slightly rubbish track is "Cover Me" but happily it is only two minutes long and is buried near the end. The singles "Army of Me" and "Hyperballad" are quirky and highly original and you get the feeling Björk is beginning to find her feet as a solo artist here. "Possibly Maybe" is an OK track but was never a single to my ears. However, this didn't stop me buying no less than three CD singles of it when it was released. More alarmingly all three CDs were full of garbage remixes with only one passable live track in their favour.

There were lots of mixes and singles from "Post" and they culminated in the remix album "Telegram". This collection of mixes tried too hard to be "different" and "arty" and the result was dreadful. Having bought three CD singles of garbage with "Possibly Maybe" I declined "Telegram" at the time. In the last year I picked the CD up from eBay for a few pounds and I don't feel I have missed out in the intervening twenty five years. It won't get listened to again (unless for the purposes of this blog I suspect). 

To summarise, this is a good album but I can't recommend this coloured vinyl version at all. These records seem to be selling between £50 to £100 on Discogs and I find that amazing. My perception has never been that this is a rare pressing and from a sound quality perspective, it certainly isn't desirable. I prefer my limited edition CD in a plastic purse which sounds loads better. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment