One record at a time: 20. The Beloved - Happiness

During my more formative years I played a snazzy yellow and purple TDK cassette of this album in the sixth form common room. I listened to the CD when idling away the hours at university and then whilst travelling to my first job in the early hours of the morning. I've sung along to "I Love You More" in the company of girls who never really loved me back and created a private rave in my bedroom to "Sun Rising". I've listened to this album as mp3s on my phone when walking to my office and I've played it to my children. It would be overly dramatic to say: "this album is the soundtrack to my life," but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It has always been there (well from 1990 anyway) and I have always loved it. Here I am playing an original pressing of the LP but I also have the recent remastered version and their CD equivalents.

The opening track "Hello" is a slice of late eighties pop perfection with its groovy rhythm guitar, DX7 bassline and 808 drums. The lyrics are largely just a list of people Jon is saying hello to, but in a pre-internet era, this was strangely fascinating. At the time I had no idea who the hell Little Neepsie (still no idea) or Sir Bufton Tufton were or why they were worthy of inclusion. Although not on this album, I have to mention the "Honky Tonk" remix of this track which, to my ears at least, is one of the best remixes ever created.

Whilst I clearly remember "Hello" being in the charts, it was hearing the second track "Your Love Takes Me Higher" that pushed me to buy the album. This song is an almost perfect pop/dance crossover that marries the TR909 and TB303 sounds of house music to a melodic and structured song. There are some dated orchestra hits and I've never been a fan of the female orgasm that seems to last through the middle of the song (there are even some remixes which focus solely on the orgasm that are annoying and a bit rubbish), but it remains a favourite of mine. "Time After Time" is a perfect change of pace that shows Jon and Steve aren't a one trick pony. The violins compliment the dub style bassline very well and it should have been a bigger hit. The more placid feel continues with "Don't You Worry" which sounds a bit more eighties with its D-50 "Pizzagogo" strings, but the strong melody wins the day. The first side of the LP finishes with what I consider to be the best song on the album "Scarlet Beautiful". Jon described this song on Twitter as, "The unbridled joy of 1988 compressed into four and a half minutes." This is Detroit house influenced dance pop with the greatest outro ever. It's hard to follow a track as good as this but the strength of this album is undeniable when you consider the next track you are presented with.

"The Sun Rising" wasn't a massive chart hit, but I suspect almost everyone of a certain age will recognise its infectious bassline and THAT sample. A track truly worthy of the tag "Classic". Having displayed their Balearic credentials Jon and Steve serve up a slice of frothy pop with "I Love You More". This really is a joyous song but unfortunately it elicits tinged adolescent memories for me. "Wake Up Soon" is another slower guitar based track that provides great contrast to the joyous acid frenzy that is "Up, Up and Away". The album is rounded off with "Found" which harks back to the sound of the 'old' Beloved and proves to be a fitting ending to a consistent and great album. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment