One record at a time: 19. Beck - Hyperspace

In 2020, I hadn't bought an album by Beck since "Odelay" in 1996, so it was going to take something special to get my attention after a gap like that. Happily "Hyperspace" was indeed a special record.

However, I have some strange and contrasting memories of this one. Originally I only downloaded this album and it was quite a long time before I got around to buying a physical copy. In fact, I bought the LP the week before the UK went into lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic and as a result, even the sight of the sleeve brings a tinge of melancholy. This is a shame as this is a great album with some of Beck's best songs. I seem to have acquired a cassette of this album too, which I can only assume I bought as it was cheap (much like the LP was).

The introductory track "Hyperlife" provides a gentle introduction to the fabulous "Uneventful Days" which is an absolute diamond of a song. Shimmering electronics and laconic vocals generate an enchanting dreamy pop sound that I can't resist. My only complaint is that this track is only three minutes long. It could be six minutes long and I still wouldn't tire of it. When "Saw Lightning" started for the first time my heart sank. "Oh no," I thought, "he's gone back to indie guitar stuff even if he is working with Pharrell Williams." Happily this song soon emerges from the cocoon of acoustic guitar nonsense into - if not a beautiful butterfly - at least an intriguing moth. "Die Waiting" is another one of those chilled pop songs that I can't get enough of. There's absolutely no way to improve this track (OK if you push me, I'd like synth bass in the verse instead of bass guitar) and as with "Uneventful Days", I will often go back to this track once the album has finished. The overly long "Chemical" is a bit dull in the verses but the chorus just about rescues it - still not my favourite. "See Through" has a fantastic rhythm track that gives the song an infectious R'n'B vibe and unlike the proceeding track, this song doesn't outstay it's welcome. Before we know it, side one is complete.

The title track ushers in the flip side with it's driving beat and lush strings before giving way to more ethereal pop in the form of "Stratosphere". This song sounds a bit like Air, and like all the good songs on this album, it is too short. There's a lot less synth on this song but it somehow retains a majestic, soaring quality. My vinyl seems to reveal some of the limitations of the medium on this song and it suffers from some sibilance and gentle distortion; but it doesn't detract from the song too much. With "Dark Places" the synthesizers make a welcome return (sounds like a Moog and a PPG to me) and whilst this track isn't as good as "Uneventful Days" it carries the same chillwave vibe. The next track, "Star" is a more typical Beck song and provides a great contrast to the more ambient music that surrounds it. "Everlasting Nothing" starts slowly but builds into a weird gospel tinged anthem, replete with analogue drum machine. There is a 'one man band' style reprise of "Saw Lightning" which rounds things out.

As well as this version of the album there is also a deluxe version tied to a collaboration with NASA which has some new tracks and remixes. Whilst interesting, this version of the album isn't essential and my interest is firmly with the original. The Wikipedia entry for "Hyperspace" says some critics found the album superficial and lacking the complexity of previous albums. As I missed 25 years worth of Beck albums, I'm not in a position to make comparisons, but I will say I enjoy this album very much and it sits right on the cusp of joining my top 20 albums. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment