One record at a time: 276. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

If Nine Inch Nails debut album put them on the map, then "The Downward Spiral" moved them into the mainstream. For whatever reason, this album seems to get all the love amongst fans and sold in its millions. Personally, I think this album is OK, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

I read somewhere that there is some form of story that pins these tracks together; but I find it impossible to discern any narrative here. One of the things that disappoints me about this album is its lyrics. Unlike previous records, these songs are neither subtle nor clever; everything seems crude and puerile. Whereas lyrics on previous albums would amuse or titillate, they simply induce an involuntary eye roll here. 

"Mr Self Destruct" is a strange track that switches between rapid-fire verses and a barely audible middle section. There's definitely some merit in this track, but it isn't an auspicious opening. It feels like all of the focussed anger from "Broken" has begun spilling out and landed in a sticky mess on the floor.

Things get back on track with "Piggy" which has enough ideas and crazy drumming to entertain. There's very little electronics going on in this song, but the traditional instruments on display are mangled and abused enough to make them sound interesting. When you have finished listening to this album it's likely this is the song you find yourself humming. "Heresy" gives our first sign of a more synth driven track but its lyrics are straight out of a teenage diary: "You God is dead and no one cares. If there is a hell, I'll see you there". Oh please.

I bought both CDs singles and the 9" vinyl of "March of the Pigs" when they were released but I wasn't really that impressed by any of them. For me this song is just too fast, too noisy and only offers a brief nod to melody. Whilst I have always assumed this song must somehow relate to the second track on the album, I could never figure out how.

"Closer" is a rather infamous song with less than subtle lyrics and a relentless beat. When it was first released as a single, the groove in this song really impressed me and gave me hope that Trent hadn't completely abandoned the use of synthesizers. Yet when I hear it today, the music isn't enough to save this song from its boorish and vulgar lyrics. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

"Ruiner" sounds OK but it has a bizarre Jimi Hendrix style guitar solo juxtaposed with a driving beat that just doesn't work for me. I'm really not a fan of the samples of screaming people that are used in "The Becoming" but the lyrics are much improved. One of the best songs on the record is "I Do Not Want This" which moves between delicate verses and a raging chorus. Next up is a short song called "Big Man With A Gun" which begins and ends without making much impression. "A Warm Place" is a dream-like instrumental that sounds like it belongs on the soundtrack to a film. There's an indistinguishable wall of noise in the form of "Eraser" before the slightly improved "Reptile" raises our hopes that we will encounter a melody before the end of the record. The title track is a lazy screaming rehash of the end theme from "Closer" that is drawn out for four whole minutes. Today, it's impossible to divorce the final track "Hurt" from the version recorded by Johnny Cash, but this original recording has a different feel that provides the perfect end to the album.

This 2017 definitive edition features remastered audio spread across two 180g records and is housed in a gatefold sleeve. The records are beautifully presented but, whilst there are some good points, the sound is just too rock for me. The synthesizers have been buried in the mix and everything sounds like an overtly masculine, axe wielding cliche. This might be Trent's biggest selling album and a fan favourite, but I'm not an admirer. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment