One record at a time: 271. New Order - Substance

I think I own a version of this compilation on CD somewhere, but this new vinyl edition only came into my possession in 2023. Like many albums that have been repressed recently, it was released to capitalise on consumer demand that was driving second-hand prices of the original record ever upward. Whilst fairly costly, this double LP is an essential purchase as it brings together all of the band's 12" singles released between 1981 and 1987; many of which were not included on albums. In typical New Order fashion, the true nature of this release was confused by including re-recordings of two songs, edits of a handful of others and mixing up the names of two of the b-sides included on the cassette and CD editions.

This vinyl only contains the twelve a-sides and, as it moves in chronological order, the re-recording of "Ceremony" starts us off. I think it is fairly well known that this song began life as a Joy Division composition and it is sounds predictably atmospheric and moody; pop music this is not. The New Order back catalogue is not easy to navigate and the inclusion of "Everything's Gone Green" could be based on any number of factors. Yet it is important this song is included as, not only is it very good, but it is clearly a moment in which New Order emerged from the shadow of Joy Division. "Temptation" has a very distinctive vocal that seems to be perfectly complimented by the rattling guitars and the synth sequences - I like this track very much and it fully justifies its seven minute length. Next up is the classic "Blue Monday" that I don't have to describe here - suffice to say this track was a seismic shift in electronic music and we wouldn't be where we are today without it. 

"Confusion" on the other hand is not a track I enjoy. The vocals are terrible, the melody is naive and the production a cliche. Everyone is trying too hard on this song and it ends up sounding manufactured and artificial. Normal service is resumed with the majestic duo of "Thieves Like Us" and "The Perfect Kiss" which would surely be on any 'Best of" mix tape you might feel compelled to make. "Subculture" and "Shellshock" are disappointing and sound a little insipid for me. "State of the Nation" is OK but the real highlights are the last two tracks "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "True Faith". 

I first heard "True Faith" when the video was played on a TV programme I was watching. This track sounded perfect to my ears and my sole reason for borrowing the cassettes of "Substance" in 1987 was to hear this song. But when I played the album I didn't have the patience to wade through tracks with guitar and out of tune vocals to get to the big prize; so I gave up. When I did finally go back to New Order in the early nineties, I realised that some of these tracks are cornerstones of electronic music and this is an essential album. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment