One record at a time: 268. New Order - Power, corription and Lies

My first experience of New Order was listening to a borrowed cassette of "Substance" in 1987. At first I was struck by the 'indie' nature of the music and disappointed it wasn't the slick synth-pop of their latest hit single. In fact, I struggled to find the new single on either cassette as there were no track names that sounded even vaguely like: "I used to think that the day would never come, I'd see delight in the shade of the morning sun". 

The style of the music on "Substance" was inconsistent and everything sounded vaguely out of tune to my young ears. At the time I felt New Order were just too enigmatic and they clearly weren't a band for me.

Over the next few years I had various brushes with New Order but I didn't purchase any of their music until 1994 when "The Best Of " was released. By this time I was earning a meagre wage and felt I could afford to take a punt and finally work out what this band were all about. Thirty years later I still don't think I fully understand New Order, but I have a much greater appreciation for their music and have gone on to purchase a good chunk of their back catalogue.

"Power, Corruption and Lies" is the second album released by the band in 1983 and I purchased this modern repress in 2021. I may have mentioned previously that one of my pet peeves is record labels that don't clearly state which side of the record you are looking at. This particular record is guilty of this offence and, as I lay it on the platter, I make a mental note to deduct half a point for the infraction.

Compared to their first album (which was recorded in a very particular set of circumstances) the music on this record is slightly less morose. Whilst "Age of Consent" and "We All Stand" still rely on Hooky's distinctive bass and Stephen's manic drumming, everything feels buoyant and spirited. 

The first substantial use of electronic instruments comes on "The Village" which has a brilliant Moog Source bassline bubbling under Bernard's vocal, along with loads of other synth arpeggios and textures. "5 8 6" starts as a weird experimental piece before suddenly bursting into life with a very familiar sound.

The best track on the album is "Your Silent Face" which features the immortal line "You've caught me at a bad time. So, why don't you piss off?". The synth lines on this track are almost perfect and it matches contemporaneous masterpieces like "Temptation" in quality. "Ultraviolence" mixes snippets of DNA from "Blue Monday" with the maudlin sensibilities of Joy Division to good effect. "Ecstasy" is a largely instrumental piece that uses an electronic bassline and some nifty vocoder to encapsulate the change of direction this album represents. Final track "Leave Me Alone" sounds more like one of the traditional band recordings we heard at the start of the album. It's not a bad song, but as the album has gradually progressed into an electronic sound, it feels a retrograde step to end up exactly where we started.

When discussing this album, the elephant in the room is the omission of "Blue Monday". Not including one of your biggest hits and a seminal moment in electronic music on the album is the kind of illogical thing many artists did in the eighties. Yet, it is probably for the best that it isn't on here as "5 8 6" and "Ultraviolence" have strong similarities and would have paled in comparison. Even the best songs on this record like "The Village" and "Your Silent Face" might not shine as brightly if the 'biggest selling 12" of all time' was included; so lets accept the album as it is. 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment