One record at a time: 261. Róisín Murphy - Hairless Toys

I had enjoyed Róisín's "Overpowered" album a great deal so I didn't hesitate when ordering a signed copy of follow up "Hairless Toys" from her website in 2015. 

However, when it arrived, this record was not what I was expecting. Having heard the more commercial and dance orientated side of her music, I wasn't quite prepared for the avant-garde and downtempo Róisín. It's no surprise to find former Moloko collaborator Eddie Stevens is a producer and co-writer here.

Things start in the most inauspicious and low key way possible with the mid-tempo vibes of "Gone Fishing". The nature of this song initially turned me off this album and I didn't give it the attention it deserved as a result. For me the next song "Evil Eyes" would have made a much better prelude as it has an atmospheric introduction that slowly builds before exploding in a shower of synth fireworks.

My favourite track is "Exploitation" which begins in a fairly standard synth-pop way before suddenly switching to something far more intriguing. Róisín weaves a vocal melody through the wobbly synths and funky guitars and, despite a nine and a half minute running time, it never becomes boring.  

"Uninvited Guest" sees us return to a more laid back vibe but there's just enough funk to provide some interest. "Exile" is probably the least interesting song on here as the conventional band instrumentation is as predictable and boring as the composition. "House of Glass" is a track that takes four minutes to break out into the electronic mayhem it had been threatening us with but my interest had waned a little by the time it got going. The title song is six minutes of twaddle that sounds like a cross between Björk and a nursery rhyme. The final song "Unputdownable" kicks off after about three minutes and is interesting when it does finally warm up. I am not adverse to music that is experimental and I don't need every record I buy to pander to my pop sensibilities, but large parts of this album leave me cold and uninterested. I've also seen various complaints about the quality this pressing and that the track "Exile" skips. My copy seems to play perfectly and gives a flawless reproduction - so it seems a bit of a lottery as to how your copy of the vinyl sounds. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment