One record at a time: 256. Massive Attack - Protection

When Massive Attack released their second album in 1994 I didn't think twice about buying the CD. I bought this 2016 re-pressing of the LP about three years ago when it was being sold off at a reduced price. Retailers don't seem to have sales where you can pick up vinyl cheaply any more - in fact everything has shifted dramatically in the other direction with £30 and £40 being asked for the most basic re-pressings today.

The opening track "Protection" somehow manages to be laid back and dreamy and yet comfortably accommodate a TB-303 and one of the deepest kick drums you're ever likely to hear. Tracey Thorn's airy vocal floats along as the music builds and releases for nearly eight minutes. Another single "Karmacoma" comes next with its infectious beat and distinctive samples. I can't pretend I understand all of the lyrics Tricky and 3-D are saying and the significance of "Jamaica and Roma" is completely lost on me. I have seem various attempts to read meaning into this song but personally I suspect it is about nothing more cerebral that smoking drugs. But who is to say? 

One of my favourite songs is "Three" which has an amazing vocal by Nicolette - there's also a great remix of this track by Dom T on the second CD single of "Protection" that I used to play a lot. "Weather Storm" is an instrumental where pianist Craig Armstrong plays over a 2 bar loop for five minutes - which is strangely more engaging than this description would suggest. Side one rounds out with "Spy Glass" which sees the return of Horace Andy on vocals whilst the band create an electronic dub sound that is reminiscent of Leftfield. 

Back in the day I would turn the volume up high for "Better Things" so that the sub bass would have the cones on my speakers popping back and forth. I did this purely to impress my friends and few of them even went out and bought the album on the back of hearing this prodigious demonstration. "Eurochild" has 3-D and Tricky delivering their distinctive rap over a collage of samples but it doesn't work as well as similar tracks here. When I bought this album I was familiar with "Sly" as this was the lead single but looking back at the wealth of material on here, I wouldn't have picked this as a lead single. "Heat Miser" is another Craig Armstrong piano improvisation but set against an electronica backdrop this time. Things round out with a fun live version of "Relight My Fire" with Horace Andy and Daddy G providing the vocals. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment