One record at a time: 254. Mansun - Six

Having failed to understand their debut album, I wondered if Mansun's follow up might offer me more insight into their unique sound. I bough the CD of "Six" when it was released in 1998 and this twenty first anniversary limited edition clear vinyl is from 2019.

This album was released at a time when Britpop had waned and morphed into a sort of indie-psychedelia that threw up the likes of Space and The Flaming Lips. At the centre of this whirlwind of faecal matter was this largely impenetrable album full of overly long songs that swing wildly between indie and opera (replete with Tom Baker narration). 

There is nothing that resembles electronic music on this record and it just sounds like traditional rock to my ears. Yes, it is experimental, but it remains rock nonetheless. Ideas are exuberantly scattered around but they all seem to fall on fallow ground and their potential is never realised. Almost every song on this album is twice as long as it should be and only "Inverse Midas" feels about right at 1'44''. I question why I ever bought this. 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment