One record at a time: 234. LCD Sound System - This Is Happening

To my shame I don't own LCD Soundsystem's second album on vinyl, so we jump to "This Is Happening" from 2010 as the next selection.

This record feels more electronic than its predecessors and I have a higher regard for it as a result. However, like all LCD Soundsystem albums, things do still swing wildly between art-rock nonsense and electronic majesty - it's just the art rock nonsense is kept to a minimum this time around.

Opening track "Dance Yrself Clean" is a truly epic piece that builds from a barely perceptible whisper to electronic induced mayhem. With a running time of nearly nine minutes you might be forgiven for thinking this track is overly long, but it sails by and makes for the perfect start.

Unfortunately the promise of the opening is betrayed by the irritating pseudo-punk of "Drunk Girls". To me this track is a perfect demonstration of James Murphy's inclination to self destruct. There's not much melody in this guitar driven dirge and the lyrics sound like the banal ramblings of a teenager.

We return to the more majestic electronic pop with "One Touch" which features some of the best synth sequences you are likely to hear outside of a Giorgio Moroder track. Yes there is some guitar which lets things down a bit, but James and Nacy's vocal is just perfect. Back in 2010 when I originally reviewed this album I wrote that "All I Want" sounded like an annoying pastiche of Bowie’s ""Heroes"" and I stand by this comment. I can't even bear to listen to it.

I love the track "I Can Change" as it seems to have a real spark of genius. I guess I'm more attracted to the 'synth-pop' sound here, but there are also some original touches that elevate this song to the same heights as "Dance Yrself Clean" and "One Touch". It is also worth mentioning that there is a 12" single with some remixes by Stereogamous that I also adore. 

"You Wanted a Hit" is too cynical for me and "Pow Pow" is pretty much devoid of melody. "Somebody’s Calling Me" is very, very annoying but the final track "Home" is a really great way to finish the record. Thirteen years ago my review of this album was quite gushing but my regard has dwindled quite a bit since. I love some of the tracks here, but I also find fault more easily and deeply with the less immediate material. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment