One record at a time: 232. La Roux - Supervision

After another lengthy hiatus, La Roux returned with the album "Supervision" in 2020. I ordered a limited edition white vinyl from Ellie's website which came in a signed sleeve.

Prior to the album arriving, I had head "International Woman of Leisure" which intrigued me without being overly impressive. As I had bought the first two albums I thought I might as well take punt on the third.

"21st Century" kicks off with a jaunty beat and some Nile Rodgers-esque guitar work, but the cadence in the chorus just doesn't work for me. The retro Linn drum sounds are brought out for the disco vibes of "Do You Feel" which rolls along quite nicely. "Automatic Driver" and "International Woman of Leisure" continue to employ the annoying choppy rhythm guitar and the melodies are limp to say the least.

The first track on the second side initially raised my hopes of hearing something other than rhythm guitar over a programmed beat, but this hope was extinguished after about thirty seconds. The repetition of style is a real shame as "Everything I live For" has an original bassline and Ellie's vocal is great - it's just that damn guitar. "Otherside" has some eighties, LA vibes about it and "He Rides" is a perfectly competent mid-tempo bop. The final track "Gullible Fool" was released as a single but it doesn't really have anything to distinguish it; other than its more restrained use of rhythm guitar. 

Until this listen through I don't think I was quite able to put my finger on why I didn't like this album - but now something has crystallised in my mind. The over use of faux Chic rhythm guitars and the weak melodies are the Achilles heel here (and on the previous album come to think of it). I know Ellie wanted to move away from the synth heavy sound of the first record but this isn't to my taste. This is the second time I have been bitten by a La Roux album and, short of a reunion with former bandmate Ben, I can't see me buying another. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment