One record at a time: 230. La Roux - La Roux

I originally bought the CD of this album in 2009 and acquired this US pressing of the vinyl in about 2015. I like this album for two reasons: firstly the music is good and secondly because it reminds me of a very happy time in my life. 

The first few songs on this album make an almost perfect collection of eighties tinged synth-pop with a modern twist. "In For The Kill" has an irresistible tune and was a big hit here in the UK. The intricate "Tigerlily" has some fantastic flourishes and even makes a nod to Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Whilst it may have failed as a single originally, "Quicksand" has a great sound palette, not the least of which is Ellie's falsetto. "Bulletproof" rounds out the quartet with its near perfect bleeps, beats and bass. I read somewhere that Ellie never liked this song and is isn't totally comfortable with this being her biggest hit and representing her. This seems a shame as it is a work of near perfection.

I'm not a fan of the chorus on "Colourless Colour" as the lyrics are way too obvious and are banal compared the brilliance that preceded them. I was surprised when "I'm Not You Toy" was released as a single as it didn't sound particularly radio friendly to me due to its protracted bridge and truncated chorus. 

"Cover My Eyes" is the first "slow song" we encounter but the choir and vocals don't really work for me. The quality of the songwriting is lifted once again with the fantastic "As If By Magic" and "Fascination" - the former of which even survives some timid guitar work. As the album draws to a close things do tend to dip a little with songs like "Reflections Are Protection"  and "Armour Love" not quite hitting the mark. The "Bonus Track" titled "Growing Pains" is a little repetitive but is a welcome addition. 

Generally I like this album, but listening to it today I am less inclined to forgive it its failings in the way I did in 2009. This record won plaudits when it was released as it came on the back of a wave of eighties nostalgia, but today that sentimentality has largely evaporated and some of the more mundane tracks fall a bit flat as a result. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment