One record at a time: 207. Jean Michel Jarre - Rarities

For about thirteen years Jean Michel Jarre didn't release any of his new albums on vinyl. The cycle was only broken in 2011 by a compilation called "Rarities" which mirrored the content of the second CD of the "Essential and Rarities" compilation of the same year. 

I didn't buy this record when it was released as I already owned a bootleg CD of the same name and I had no burning desire to hear the music from vinyl. I own the record today because I included it on an 'wishlist' I made in the run up to Christmas 2011. At the time I was a bit fed up of being asked what I would like as a present, so I absent mindedly created a list of records I wasn't prepared to buy myself, but I would be happy to receive as gifts. When I opened this on Christmas day I was very pleased as it filled a hole in my collection and didn't cost me a penny. 

I don't know how many copies of this record were pressed but it now seems to be relatively difficult to find at a reasonable price. Even the afore mentioned double CD seems to be priced ridiculously high by sellers, so I feel fortunate to own both today.

Fittingly this compilation begins with Jarre's first recorded work "Happiness is a Sad Song" which is a musique concrète piece recorded in 1968. As an example of the genre this song is acceptable, but it won't ever be mistaken for one of his masterworks. "Hypnose" is a single released with magician and hypnotist Dominique Webb but the version included here is "Part 2", the instrumental b-side created by Jarre alone. Compared to the first track, this song is positively commercial and has a charming chintzy seventies style. Jarre's first 7" single  "La Cage / Erosmachine" from 1971 is another musique concrète affair that is probably only enjoyed by dedicated fans.

The remainder of this album is taken up by songs culled from a disc of library music Jarre titled "Deserted Palace" and the soundtrack to the film "Les Granges Brûlées". Both of these records were originally released in 1973 when Jarre was carving a living as a jobbing musician rather than as a recording artist. These early efforts were recorded using rudimentary equipment and sound very naive to modern ears. Whilst this album is a great archive of Jarre's less commercial work, it remains of interest only to collectors and the casual fan need not trouble themselves. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment