One record at a time: 185. The Human League - Secrets

I bought this album when it was released in 2001 and I only listened to it a handful of times. In fact, I think I threw out my original CD with a limited edition O-card during a 'clear out' a few years later (don't ask, I'm still not ready to talk about it). I thought this album was a disjointed and inconsistent affair and it didn't warrant my attention.

In recent years I have re-purchased the CD and also acquired the vinyl version released in 2018. I missed the limited edition white vinyl released for Record Store Day the same year, but my copy does have a second disc of additional material not included on the other.

Lead single "All I Ever Wanted" opens the record and is probably the best thing on here. I purchased both CD singles of this when they were released and, despite the disappointing remixes, I was quite impressed.

The second track "Nervous" is an instrumental that only lasts for two minutes and it saps the energy built by the opening track. It might have been better to have maintained the momentum and placed the second single "Love Me Madly?" here instead. 

The next track "Shameless" has a classic Human League sound that is a bit weak in the first chorus but gets beefier as things progress. There's another instrumental titled "122.3 BPM" which is a Kraftwerk inspired ditty that peters out after a minute and a half. There's another typically HL sounding track "Never Give Your Heart" where Susan takes on the lead vocal duties. This is quite a good song that I think I must have overlooked when I first heard this record. "Ran" is nothing more than an instrumental interlude that brings side one to a close.

"The Snake" features some hokey lyrics but, like a lot of these songs, has quite a strong melody. "Ringinglow" is another instrumental but is more substantial at three and a half minutes long. I'm not a big fan of "Liar" as it sounds a little trite and under-produced. Phil's vocal melodies also remind me of another song, but I can't quite place it. 

"Reflections" and "Sin City" are less memorable tracks that seem to just pad out the second side. The last track "You'll Be Sorry" is another good pop song that leaves us on a high. The second disc has a disappointing b-side called "Tranquillity" and some typical millennium era dance mixes that are decidedly annoying.

I think part of the problem with this record is it can be difficult to discern what is going on. The various instrumentals don't really offer much and just serve to confuse things. If we were to discard the instrumentals and revise the running order, we might end up with a more concise album that gives the better songs room to breathe. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment