One record at a time: 182. The Human League - Greatest Hits

I own two copes of this record and they provide a good illustration of the vagaries of grading. One record was bought from a shop and described as in "excellent" condition and the other is from eBay and described as "good." 

As you can see from the images, the gatefold of the "excellent" copy has somehow been stuck together and once I preyed it open, the sleeve ripped. I don't wish to speculate on the nature of the the sticky substance that landed on the image Joanne and Susan.

If we were to apply the record collector standard grading definitions I'd say the "good" copy from eBay is actually in very good condition. Typically it was also was much cheaper than the "excellent" one that was stuck together. Record collecting is all swings and roundabouts.

I remember when this album was released and it felt like it was signalling the end of the band. To promote the album the record company decided to release a two year old album track "Love Is All That Matters". This seems a very odd choice now, but if like me, you assumed the group were pretty much finished at the time, it seems more logical.

Most of the familiar hit singles released by the Mk II version of the band are here along with the original version of "Being Boiled". As a youth unfamiliar with Mk I of the band I thought this song stuck out like a sore thumb and I'm still not sure it fits here. Still, this is a good album that offers the band's best material from the period 1978-1988. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment