One record at a time: 161. The Grid and Robert Fripp - Leviathan

This album is a collaboration between The Grid and Robert Fripp and consists of improvised soundscapes originally recorded during the sessions for the album "Four Five Six". "Leviathan" is presented as a double album pressed on two 200g super heavyweight vinyl discs: overkill of the highest order.

Having established with my previous post that I don't like improvised music, you may be able to guess where my review of this album is about to go (the picture might be a subtle clue too).

"Empire" belongs to the "droning" class of improvised pieces and is deeply irritating. "Milkwood" has a few synthesised tinkles but is the same type of nonsense. There are a few deep pulsing noises that underpin "Pulse Detected" but it goes nowhere. "Loom" almost has a chord structure and that's the best I can say. 

I could go on, but I know I won't find anything positive to say about this album. I'm getting to the point that I can't tell any of these track apart - it's just one giant smear of droning guitars and deep burbles. I accept that some people may like this album and I am pleased they do; but it isn't for me. The most upsetting thing is that I paid money for this. 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment