One record at a time: 157. Goldfrapp - Silver Eye

I'd love to tell you that this review is based upon years of listening to this album and that I have exercised due diligence in considering all of its virtues and foibles. However, this is not true.

I bought this clear vinyl when the album was released in 2017 and I have listened to it precisely once. I have subsequently revisited a couple of tracks that initially caught my ear as mp3 files, but I think it would be fair to say this record has, up to this point, made very little impression upon me.

As I play the album now I am very impressed by the opening track "Anymore" which is both catchy and pretty funky too - I seem to remember this is the highlight of the album. The title of the album is derived from the lyrics to the second track "Systemagic" which has a great tune and some fabulous vocal harmonies from Alison. Things slow down for the deep blistering tones of "Tigerman" and its superb synth textures. This may not be the best composition ever recorded but the production is perfect. 

With some of Goldfrapp's previous albums I always got the feeling I'd heard the songs before. "Black Cherry" opened the door but some of the subsequent releases were a mere recreation. With songs like "Become the one" things feel a little more innovative and interesting again. 

"Faux Suede Drifter" is dull and sounds like it belongs on the previous album. The observant amongst you will have noticed we have, once again, skipped an album in the Goldfrapp back catalogue. I don't own "Tales of us" on vinyl as I am not keen on these tracks that are vocalised without real words. As an exceptional talent, Liz Fraser can get away with it, but it doesn't work here.

"Zodiac Black" is a song best enjoyed by more ardent fans and is a disappointing start to the second side. However the instrumentation and production of "Beast That Never Was" is truly remarkable and lifts an average composition to a higher plane. "Everything is Never Enough" employs some of the naive sounds of early eighties artists such as Soft Cell, but it drags on a bit too long. By the time we reach "Moon of Your Mouth" it feels like the ideas are running a bit thin and whilst "Ocean" tries to deliver an epic Depeche Mode style finale it doesn't quite succeed. So this album definitely deserves more than the cursory listen I have given it, but it isn't amongst my favourites. 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment