One record at a time: 153. Glass Candy - B/E/A/T/B/O/X

Sometime in 2009 I was watching "Bronson", a biographical film about British criminal Charles Bronson. In the film there was a scene that featured some great music and a quick Google search led me to the track "Digital Versicolor" by Glass Candy and its parent album "B/E/A/T/B/O/X". 

I think I must have only acquired the mp3 files of the album at the time as this clear vinyl didn't come into my collection until 2013. I bought this record in the flagship HMV store at 363 Oxford Street in London (now sadly closed). As this historic shop had recently re-opened I was keen to mark my visit with a purchase, but I was struggling to find much of interest until I stumbled across this. Discogs says this is a US import (not sure if that is correct) and was limited to 3,000 copies. 

Ultimately there is nothing else on this album that quite matches the electroclash perfection of "Digital Versicolor" but "Beatific" and "Life After Sundown" come a close second. "Candy Castle" is another dance floor friendly jaunt that proves to be very entertaining. "Etheric Device" and the instrumental "Last Nite I Met A Costume" provide some contrast to the more dance orientated material and "Rolling Down The Hills" is a commendable 70's funk pastiche. 

Only the seven minute cover version of Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" disappoints. Cover versions that tend to succeed offer a radical reinterpretation of a song or remould it in the distinct style of the artist recording it. Think of Pet Shop Boys "Always On My Mind", Michael Andrews and Gary Jules "Mad World", Soft Cell "Tainted Love" or even Johnny Cash "Hurt". Unfortunately Glass Candy's take on "Computer Love" is just a limp retelling of the same story that was perfected on the original. But if we put this weak cover to one side, this is a good album. 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment