One record at a time: 151. Gatto Fritto - Gatto Fritto

Sometime in 2011 I walked into a record store in Soho where the most amazing music was playing. After a few minutes perusing the racks of vinyl, I walked up to the counter and asked if I could buy a copy the record that was playing. 

At this point the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes, turned to his colleague and said with a sigh, "Can I have the Gatto Fritto out of the CD player again please?"

The guy plonked the CD on the counter and explained that this record was difficult to source and every time they acquired a copy, someone bought it. This was the first time I'd heard of a shop that was upset at having to sell records, but I have encountered this phenomenon subsiquently. If people are so upset by the idea of selling goods for a profit, I can't help wonder why they don't open museums rather than shops.

Anyway, I took my CD home and enjoyed it. In fact, I liked it so much I bought this double vinyl of the album in 2014 from a seller on Discogs. The vinyl is in near mint condition and is one of about 500 that were pressed. As far as I know, Gatto Fritto's eponymously titled debut is their only album and according to Discogs there have been no further releases attributed to them. I know almost nothing about Ben Williams the guy behind the music and, to be honest, I like it that way. I prefer that Gatto Fritto remain enigmatic and enchanting.

The first track on the album is titled "The Curse" and features an airy falsetto vocal that is accompanied by discordant guitars and superb analogue synth textures. "Hex" is a more laid back and funky affair with its disco inspired bass guitar and plodding groove. Things take a different direction with "Grinding of the Brakes" which is an instrumental that sandwiches ambient textures with Aphex Twin style loops. "Solar Flares Burn for You" moves us even deeper into ambient territory and ends up sounding a bit like Tangerine Dream. The LinnDrum returns for "Lucifer Morning Star" which has a dreamy melody and vocoder processed vocals. 

"Invisible College" is the song that I heard in that record shop in London. As the acoustic guitar riff begins you could be forgiven for thinking this was going to be a naff disco record. Yet it soon becomes clear that the guitar is a loop and as additional layers are drip fed in, the majesty of this record begins to reveal itself. This is a long track and the first breakdown doesn't arrive until we're four minutes in; but it doesn't really matter as there are so many ideas in here that it is impossible to be bored. By the time you reach the ten minute mark you realise you are listening to a completely different piece of music but have no idea how you arrived there.

"My Etheric Body" continues in the retro electro vibe whilst the final track "Beachy Head" provides an ambient ending. The music on this record is hard to describe and is best heard to be understood. I find it a little frustrating that there isn't more music by Gatto Fritto but at the same time I enjoy the fact that this album is a one off. 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment