One record at a time: 145. Eurythmics - Peace

I was pleased when Eurythmics re-formed after an 8 year hiatus, but this elation was tempered by a fear they would 'go rock' again. Once I heard the comeback album "Peace", I was confused. Was this rock, pop or something else? 

Whilst this music is hard to pigeonhole, it clearly is not 'synth pop' or electronic music. Ultimately, I found this disappointing. The tunes are good, the vocals are exceptional and the production skilful; but its just not my kind of music.

Despite the CD being released in 1999, an LP wasn't pressed until this 180g version from 2018.  This is another half speed master from Abbey Road and, unlike my copy of "Savage", it sounds OK. Not good, not bad, just OK. I really don't see the point in going to the expense of creating a new half speed master and then giving it to GZ Media to press up. 

The highlights of this album are the soaring "17 Again" and "I've Tried Everything". The Beatles pastiche "Forever" is best forgotten along with the disappointing heavy rock of "Power to the Meek" and "I Want it all". All in all, there's more to dislike than enjoy here for me. 2/5

This brings our trawl through the Eurythmics back catalogue to an end. Next time we get to move on to something more varied and....electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment