One record at a time: 126. Erasure - Tomorrow's World

If I were to use single word to sum up this album it would be "disjointed''. The complete disconnect between the title and the artwork is a good example of the incoherent nature of what is happening here. The way producer Vincent Frank (Frankmusic) manipulates the sound on some tracks is quite jarring and out of step with the traditional sound of the band. Whilst this album has a more contemporary feel, I get the impression things didn’t necessarily sit well with Vince and Andy.

The single "Be With You" is insipid and a bit of a poor start. The best track for me is "Fill Us With Fire" which also happens to be Vince's favourite. This track builds and releases in the best dance floor tradition and carries a real sense of euphoria. A couple of unremarkable mid-tempo songs "What Will I Say When You're Gone?" and "You've Got To Save Me Right Now" follow before the twisted dance funk of "A Whole Lotta Love Run Riot" whips things up again. "I Lose Myself" is another contemporary sounding dance track that pounds along and satisfies if you're in the mood for a boogie.

"When I Start To Break It All Down" was a curious choice for the lead single as it is a bit limp. There were a raft of remixes issued in what felt like a desperate attempt to shore up a fundamentally weak composition. It is no wonder it stalled at number 172 in the charts. 

When it was released, this album disappointed me as I felt the impetus gained on "Nightbird" was being frittered away. In the interceding 10 years, nothing has happened to lessen my disappointment. 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment